Everything You Need To Know Before Getting Dental Implants In Ottawa
Dental implants from Ottawa’s leading dental practice can restore your smile and quality of life when you’ve lost a few teeth or need to replace an unhealthy tooth.
Dental implants are the next best thing for your natural teeth. They look, feel, and function like natural teeth, so much so that they are nearly impossible to differentiate from the rest of your teeth. This introduces a lasting solution for patients who thought living with a gap was their destiny! With this worthwhile investment to a beautiful smile and improved quality of life, patients will never look back at their old smiles again.
When a patient has enough healthy bone in the jaw to accommodate the implant, it results in a comfortable, functional and attractive solution to restoring a full set of teeth.
Family Dental Care uses state-of-the-art technology with professional services to help you achieve the smile you’ve always dreamed of. So, get in touch with us today to schedule an appointment!
What Are Dental Implants?
Traditionally, a dental implant is a small screw inserted into the jawbone. Attached to the screw is a custom-made dental crown that looks, feels, and functions like the rest of your teeth. Dental implants require surgery, but patients typically recover quickly and easily without any difficulties post-surgery.
However, a prerequisite for dental implants is having sufficient healthy bone tissue in the jaw. If your bone tissue is insufficient, you must undergo a bone graft. If the implants are required in the upper jaw, the patient’s bone around the sinuses needs to be sufficiently built up, potentially requiring a sinus lift before the dentist can insert the dental implants.
Unfortunately, dental implants are unsuitable for children whose facial structure is still developing. However, older teens may be approved if their bone structure has matured enough. People who are avid smokers or take immunosuppressants may not have as much success with dental implants, as well as those who have recently undergone neck and head radiation therapy. Lastly, although it is still possible, it may be difficult for people who are nighttime grinders to enjoy the benefits of dental implants.
Steps To Acquiring Dental Implants.
When a patient meets the ideal criteria for dental implants, the process can begin almost immediately after a non-restorative tooth extraction. However, patients should understand that the process can sometimes take longer than expected, especially when multiple surgeries are required and the patient needs to heal before moving on to the next step.
Let’s discuss a few steps you can expect when you undergo a dental implant surgery:
- Initial dental exam. Before the implants can be inserted, your dentist will thoroughly examine your mouth using 3D scans. The scans allow a greater visualisation and understanding of your overall dental health and the bone that will support the implant.
- Removal of unhealthy teeth. The next step is to remove the teeth that need to be replaced. An oral surgeon usually does this, but many dentists who are certified implantologists can complete the process of dental implants from start to finish.
- Bone graft. A bone graft is required if your initial dental exam shows signs that your bone is insufficient to support the dental implants. Bone from another part of your body will be harvested and added where needed, or your dentist may recommend a synthetic bone graft option.
- Implant insertion. Once you’ve healed from the bone graft, the dentist will insert the implant into your jawbone. Since it acts as the tooth root, it needs to be implanted deep into the jawbone, which will also require a healing period. You may be given a temporary denture to cover the gap while you heal.
- Abutment and crown insertion. Once the bone surrounding the implant has healed and grown sufficiently, the abutment is added. The abutment is the part of the implant that holds the crown in place. Once your gums have healed from this step, the crown that has been moulded is inserted to look, feel, and function like the rest of your teeth.
You don’t have to struggle with missing teeth and endure the difficulties it presents in your everyday life. Instead, get in touch with Family Dental Care today to schedule an appointment for dental implants in Ottowa.