Are Tooth Implants Safe?
Thanks to its countless benefits, dental implants have become the preferred dental treatment of those who are looking to replace missing teeth. However, many people are also likely wondering if a tooth implant is indeed the best option for them.
While dental implants have become massively popular, many people don’t know much about it. For instance, not everyone knows how much a tooth implant costs, what the benefits are, or if it is a safe option for them.
What are Tooth implants?
Dental implants are an excellent option for patients who want to replace lost, missing, or damaged teeth. The process involves implanting a metal, screw-like post that will serve as the “root” of your tooth. Dental implant surgery replaces tooth roots and serves as anchors.
The natural-looking replacement teeth function just like the natural ones. The look of these implants can be customized to match the mouth’s unique proportions for an even more natural feel. Suffice it to say, dental implants will look, feel, and function just like real teeth.
Who are Good Candidates for Dental Implants?
Dental plants are placed in the jawbone surgically. Since titanium implants fuse with the jawbone, the implants won’t make noise, slip, or cause bone damage like dentures or bridgework. Also, the material used in dental implants won’t decay. Generally, dental implants may be an option for you if:
- You have one (or more) teeth missing
- You have a jawbone that has reached full growth
- You have enough bone to secure the implants
- You have healthy oral tissues
- You don’t have any health conditions that can affect healing
- You are willing to commit to the process
- You are not a heavy smoker
- You don’t have any pre-existing chronic disorders such as heart disease or diabetes
Who are Not Good Candidates for Dental Implants?
Dental implants are made up of robust titanium alloys. Most people have no issues with titanium. However, for those who are sensitive to zinc, lead, copper, or nickel, dentists might recommend other dental solutions to replace missing teeth.
Dental implants are also not ideal for those who have other metal fillings in their mouth as it might interact negatively with titanium. Dental implants might not also be the best option for heavy smokers who are not willing to stop.
Is the Dental Implant Procedure Safe?
Dental implant procedure is only carried out by qualified dentists. Dental professionals who perform dental implant procedures have advanced training in implant dentistry and oral surgery so patients know they are in the best hands. Dental implants are also considered very safe. No wonder millions of people have gotten them!
During a dental implant procedure, all the patient’s unique circumstances and needs are considered. A team of experienced and highly skilled dental professionals will also closely monitor the procedure to ensure the patient’s security and comfort. However, you need to check with your dentist first if dental implants are the best option for you.
What is the Planning Process Like?
Since dental implants can require one (or more) surgical procedures, patients will undergo a thorough evaluation process to prepare for the procedure. The evaluation process can include:
- Comprehensive dental exam. 3D images and dental X-rays may be taken. Models of the jaw and teeth will also be created.
- Review of medical history. Dental implant patients need to inform their doctors of any medical conditions they have. They also need to inform their doctors about any medications, supplements, and over-the-counter drugs they are taking. Patients with orthopedic implants and heart conditions should also tell their dentists about it.
- Treatment plan. Treatment plans are tailored to the patient’s situation. The treatment plan will take into account important factors like the number of teeth that will be replaced and the condition of the remaining teeth and jawbone.